Here is a statistic I have been curious about: how much money does the US give to other countries? This was a good chance to stretch my R and D3 chops.
I was only able to find machine-readable (well, if you can call a table in a PDF “machine-readable”) data for a few recent years. The radio buttons below control which year is being visualized.
First I went for the obvious visualization, a world map:
But to better see the rankings between countries, here is a simple bar chart:
(In the bar graph above, countries getting less than $20m are not shown, to keep the bars from getting too thin.)
A few notes about the development steps, so I can refer to this later:
- Install rJava and Tabulizer: https://github.com/ropenscilabs/tabulizer
- Run R code to generate us-foreign-aid.json file
- Install ogr2ogr and topojson
- Get geo data and create map json
- Download and unzip geo data
- Run ogr2ogr on the .shp file:
ogr2ogr -f "GeoJSON" subunits.json ne_50m_admin_0_map_units.shp
- Run topojson on that file:
topojson -o world-countries.json --id-property iso_a3 --properties name=name -- subunits.json
- Write d3 code